Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Strategic Mating

I have a beautiful friend named Daisy*. While Daisy has the loveliest blonde hair, blue eyes and peaches and cream complexion, she does acknowledge the limitations of her complexion.

If we’re outside, she’s found the tiniest sliver of shade and is huddled under it in a contorted position that ensures maximum shady coverage of her body. She’ll say she can think about the sunshine and get sunburned. I’ve been to the pool with her before, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t until after 5:00pm. She’d call her coloring “translucent.” I’ve known her to even dye her eyebrows because otherwise they’re seemingly nonexistent. (Sorry, Daisy! I couldn’t resist putting that in—you know, really paint the picture!) It all works very well together, though, and Daisy really is dazzling.

Always the strategic-minded planner, Daisy approached dating with a purpose. She knew one day she’d want kids, and she didn’t want her progeny and light of her life to be so, well, light. If children are built in the image of their parents, Daisy needed to hedge her kids’ bets. So, she set out to date dark. Give the kids a fighting chance!

In all my time of knowing Daisy, and it’s been a long time, she’s had relationships and casual dates, and none of them were Caucasian. She dated an Indian guy for a while, but even his delectably dark skin couldn’t make up for his simple mind and inability to pronounce V’s. (One time while they dated, he took a vacation to “Las Wegas.”) One Moroccan guy lasted quite a while, and Daisy reveled in his cafĂ© au lait complexion. Unfortunately, some of his other characteristics ended up being catastrophic deal breakers, be damned their attractive baby potential!

As life has a way of working itself out, Daisy found the love of her life, perfect-for-her man. Wouldn’t you know, he’s a good looking guy with dark hair and creamy, ivory skin! And, she’s never been happier, and I’ve never been happier for her.

When Daisy got pregnant, we all held our breath for nine long months. Their daughter is precious! But, while she does have beautiful, dark hair, I fear there’s little hope in that little one ever tanning!

It just goes to show you, as so many things do, you can spend your whole life planning, but the heart wants what the heart wants, and there’s no way around that! Inevitably, one often ends up marrying someone unlike anyone she’s ever dated before. Therefore, I’ve started keeping my own eye out for cute guys with arms full of tattoos! I’ll let you know how that works out.


*Name changed to protect the innocent, and guilty.

1 comment:

  1. It's so true--you DO usually end up marrying someone unlike anyone you've ever dated before. Me? I never "dated" a blonde, and now I'm married to one! I also never dated anyone who wasn't a complete psychotic, b!tchy, and neurotic mess... My wife? NONE of those things...most of the time.

    I will never forget the "have you been to Wegas," conversation. Was at McFaddens and I nearly peed myself and spit up my beer when I heard that...

    ReplyDelete