Monday, June 8, 2015

Lolly is a boy dog.

Longtime readers, and anyone who knew me between 2002 and 2014, know that Lolly was a long time coming. And boy, was that the right decision to wait until I was ready! The lovable, little pup is perfect for me and perfect for my life now. He has opened so many doors and introduced me to lots of wonderful people I may not otherwise know. I'm grateful for finding him and for finally being ready to let him bring so much to my life.

Sappy gratitude time over. Thanks for hanging in.

Lolly's a boy dog. I understand his name is misleading. His name was picked way back when. ...When I thought he was going to be a girl dog. But, after 12 years or so of commitment to a name, was I just going to abandon it for a silly, little reason like gender specificity?!

"Lolly" pays tribute to the first, little poodle I met, with whom I fell madly in love. Her name was Lulu. She was the one who made me consider liking dogs. "Lolly" also pays tribute to our time living in Australia, where they call candies "lollies," a term my dad sometimes still slips into.

On the weekend I locked Lolly down with the breeder, I happened to be visiting some great friends. It was confirmed Lolly would be a boy, and in the midst of celebrating Lolly finally existing (for so long before that, he was a make-believe joke that everyone found so, so funny--everyone found it funny, I know it), I said, "Wait, am I still going to be able to call him Lolly if he's a boy now??"

Without missing a beat both of the girls I was with--good, supportive friends--said, "Yes! Of course!!"

The sole, representative guy, who I think was speaking for all guys considering guys I meet are the most confused about Lolly's gender, assessed us all with a sweeping you-all-are-nuts look and said, "No you can't call him Lolly!! That is a GIRL'S name!"

The rest of us looked at each other and started trying to come up with "boys'" names. As it turns out, "Lolly" is, obviously, the most perfect name ever*. We couldn't top it. So, we set to work "butching" it up.

Lolly's full name became Sir Walter Lolly.

Any dog whose name starts with a title, like Sir or Mister or Prince, is hysterical. So, he had to have a prefix. Naturally.

"Walter" is the name my brother, sister and I attribute to anyone about whom we're inventing stories, and it makes us laugh and laugh. Ask us about Walter Tinkle, and we'll devolve into a fit of giggles! Sometimes there are things only siblings understand.

Finally, to tie this whole name together with a sweet--masculine--bow, I grew up in Virginia, and Sir Walter Raleigh is largely credited with colonizing Virginia. Sure, sure; history. Really, my favorite place to request birthday dinners when I was little was Sir Walter Raleigh's Steakhouse. So, that's especially apropos, if you ask me and my stomach!

Inevitably, though, the name Lolly leads to some confusion. I can't tell you how many times I have this conversation:

Stranger on the street (Lolly gets a LOT of attention when we go out. No one can resist the sweet fluff!): Oh! Look at this little guy! What's his name?

Me: Lolly.

Stranger: Oh! A girl; I'm sorry!

Me: No, he's a boy. I named him before I knew he was going to be a boy. His full name is Sir Walter Lolly when he's being formal.

Stranger: polite laughter as they get lost in Lolly's love.

I mean, what can you do?! Lolly's so curly and prancy and such a fancy fluff that the name totally works!





*- Except for the name Potato. There used to be a goldendoodle in our building whose name was Potato, and that was too, too funny and adorable! Best part? Sometimes they called him Tater or Tot!!!! I mean, come on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment