Friday, September 23, 2011

Another Hollywood Life Lesson

Ok. Let's get a reality check here.

If we have learned anything from TV and movies—and let's face it, we have learned a lot—in order to find real love I need to encounter some seemingly tragic-in-the-moment turn of fate that sends me reluctantly into a tiny, tiny town in the deep south or in Alaska. That's it. That's what it's going to take.

If I'm going to be serious about finding love, I need to get out from behind the computer, put my wine glass down on the bar and stop following cute stranger to see where it is guys like them are hanging out in the evenings. (That only happened once. How many times have I considered it, though? I reserve the right not to answer…) There are far fewer movies and TV shows about people who met online or in a bar than there are about people from big cities moving to tiny towns, being taken out of their elements, getting “rescued” by hot townies and realizing that, while seemingly miserable at first, the move was the best thing that ever happened to them.

So yeah, reality check: that’s what I need to do.

It happened for Sandra Bullock in Hope Floats, Anne Heche in the TV show Men in Trees, Nicole Kidman in Australia, Renee Zellweger in New in Town and for countless actresses in too-many-to-name teen movies. Hell, it even worked for Michael J. Fox in Doc Hollywood, Kevin Bacon in Footloose and Richard Gere in Runaway Bride!

So, obviously I’m looking forward to the new CW show Hart of Dixie, in which Rachel Bilson is forced to move to a small, southern town in which alligators cross streets (that’s in the previews for the show). You’ll find me every week during the season watching the show and taking furious notes!

Let’s talk about it, though. How is it that there’s one hot guy in town, and he inevitably falls for the out-of-place, seemingly obnoxious, new girl? Doesn’t that piss off the other girls in town? Wouldn’t that make them hate her? So, she gets the guy, but what about friends?! These movies seem to leave a lot of important stuff out…

I suppose the question in this Hollywood life lesson is, “Do I want friends or do I want love?” I have to say, if the objet d’ amour is someone like Harry Connick, Jr., James Tupper or Hugh Jackman, it might not be a fair choice!


No comments:

Post a Comment